In article <3805826.VrQqsmUkMF@linux-9daj> you write:
>On Saturday, August 25, 2018 12:53:01 PM UTC Ted Lemon wrote:
>> I'm not saying nobody does it.   I'm trying to understand how this helps.
>
>in my own experience, nothing which needs a hostname (so, having an AAAA and
>PTR RR) doesn't have a static address. if an address is handed out by SLAAC or
>by DHCP, it initiates connections but does not respond to any. i realize that
>there are other modes of being, but that's mine.

The existence of services like dyndns suggests that there is some
interest in assigning hostnames to dynamic IPs, but their lack of use
outside the hobby geek world also suggests that it doesn't matter.
They don't do PTRs.

I also know people who keep lists of regex'es to match generic rDNS
for uses similar to yours.  Generic rDNS isn't worth much.