> On 19 Sep 2018, at 21:14, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:

> If I look up foo and it has an ANAME to bar, which of these do I get
> back?

; ANSWER SECTION
foo. A 1.2.3.4

; ADDITIONAL SECTION
foo. ANAME bar.
bar. A 1.2.3.4

The model is that this is a replacement for manually copying address records,
with added hints to resolvers that they might want to re-do the copying in
order to get geo-optimized answers or other complicated tricks.

> The second is a lot more like what CNAME does, and also avoids having
> to sign on the fly.

With this model, signing only happens where it currently happens.

> PS: I still think fixing apex CNAME is a better way to go.

There are still DNS servers out there running on 1990s semantics, so I don’t
think CNAME can be fixed any time soon - much of my practical annoyance comes
from people asking for CNAME and MX and this combination is doom on a stick
because it involves crazy MTA DNS message handlers, not just DNS servers. My
guess at deployment timelines is:

* minimal ANAME can be deployed unilaterally on the provisioning side 20 years
ago and similar features are widely available (you are ahead of me on this one,
John!); if resolvers implement it there will be useful amounts of deployed
support within a few years

* browser-friendly SRV replacement: two years to standardization; another two
years watching caniuse before we can maybe think about not copying A records
around; even more years before it becomes as portable on the provisioning side
as ANAME is now

* fix CNAME, at least 10 years

Tony.
--