You specify a well known TSIG key (e.g. name=“.”, algorithm=hmac-sha256,
key=<32-zero-bytes>)
then you use it when you don’t have a more specific key.  If the server support
the WKK you
will get back a TSIG signed response that can’t have been forged by a off path
attacker if it
matched the response.  There should be enough entropy in a TSIG query without
add more but one
can add more by putting random data in the other field prior to generating the
request’s hmac.
Otherwise you should get back a BADKEY error if the server supports TSIG and
FORMERR, NOTIMP
(without a TSIG record) or a non-TSIG response if the server does not implement
TSIG.  Clients
can remember of they get a TSIG response and reject non-TSIG responses in the
future or treat
each transaction as independent.  I would expect public DNS resolvers to
formally state when
they support this.

The pairwise table I generated was to show what current servers do when
presented with a
unknown, unexpected TSIG key.  There are a number of mis-implementation of TSIG
shown.  A
few underspecified parts of the TSIG specification which I raise earlier.
There are firewalls
that unnecessarily block requests with TSIG present and there are
mis-implementations of STD 13
shown.

If we proceed down this path we will need to get CVE’s issues against all the
firewalls and
nameserver implementation that block/drop requests with TSIG presents they
should be issued
for firewalls anyway as it they break the ability to use TSIG.  Servers that
mis-implement
TSIG or STD 13 need to be identified and fixed.  A date for removal of
workarounds for the
mis-implementations needs to be set (+5 years from publishing should be enough
time) along
with a campaign to find at inform the server operators of broken servers.
Tests for WKK
behaviour should be added to delegated server tests and if we don’t go down
this path vendors
that implement TSIG at least should be add BADKEY tests to their QA procedures,
similarly
vendors that don’t implement TSIG need to add TSIG queries to their QA
procedures.

The raw data for the table is available at https://ednscomp.isc.org and is
regenerated towards
the end of the month.