Joe Abley <jab...@hopcount.ca> wrote:

> How recently should a server have been checked and found not to respond
> to conclude that it's unresponsive? What does unresponsive mean?
> Presumably this involves a timeout; how long? Perhaps these questions
> are already answered in practice by existing implementations, but I
> don't know that they are written down anywhere.

I think it's covered in the draft already.

> If a server responds to some queries but not others (e.g. same QNAME,
> different QTYPEs) is that unresponsive across the board? Or does
> responsiveness depend on the precise (QNAME, QCLASS, QTYPE) tuple?

Best response to this kind of brokenness is to tell them to fix it, not
to work around it.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-no-response-issue

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
West Forties, Cromarty, Forth: Cyclonic becoming northerly or northeasterly, 5