On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 1:43 PM Stephen Farrell <stephen.farr...@cs.tcd.ie>
wrote:

> (dropping dprive list at WG chair request)
>
> Hiya,
>
> On 13/03/2019 20:29, Brian Dickson wrote:
> > The starting place for the conversation needs to acknowledge this, and
> > accommodate it. It is entirely possible that a DoH client that doesn't
> do a
> > minimum level of getting user acknowledgement before violating policies,
> > laws, or contracts, might itself be illegal in some jurisdictions
> > (jurisdictions that could include some US states, some western countries,
> > some larger entities like EU, etc.).
>
> I almost agreed with you that people need to ack others'
> priorities. But the above means I can't agree with your
> mail as "might be illegal" is vastly overstated, there
> being no relevant difference between DoT and DoH clients
> in this respect.

You are correct, on the difference issue.

This is about the base requirements, even if they are not different between
DoH and DoT.
And I agree, both DoH and DoT would need to meet the same set of
requirements wrt to contracts, laws, informed users, and everything.

I don't believe I am overstating the issue, at least in some places.
E.g. I am not aware of any place where an end user can modify an EULA, sign
it, and have that legally binding. Doing DoH/DoT in any such environment
where the Ts & Cs prohibit their use, would at least be a contract
violation. Things like DMCA and its ilk might raise the software to the
level of "illegal" rather than just a contract violation by a user.

> Such overstatement doesn't help and merely
> makes it more likely that some of the reasonable points
> you make will just get lost in the noise (IMO anyway).
>
> The same goes for talk of "wars" btw.
>
> Yeah, that's not one term I have used, but I agree.

Brian