Vladimír Čunát <vladimir.cunat+i...@nic.cz> wrote:

> I can't even see a simple way of detecting this.  At least in the
> implementation suggested by Jan where you have an authoritative that
> calls out to a resolver (which calls out to authoritatives...)

You could prevent the loop from leading to a circular dependency, rather
than detecting the loop, e.g. if the auth always answers from zone or
cache which are updated asynchronously.

Maybe the auth's resolver could chase the chain by making ANAME queries;
when the auth replies it can reply from zone data and skip filling in the
additional section if it doesn't have fresh address records. The auth can
be more eager to make recursive queries when it gets A or AAAA queries.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
promote human rights and open government