Matthew Pounsett <m...@conundrum.com> wrote:

> I feel like this is creating an even bigger potential problem.  What
> happens when the owner of the ANAME target legitimately wants that
> name to go away, but some other zone owner is leaving an ANAME in
> place pointing to that now-nonexistent name?  Continuing to serve the
> sibling records indefinitely seems like serve-stale gone horribly
> wrong.

It's worth noting that Oracle's ANAME model does not couple the sibling
addresses to the ANAME target addresses. As I understand it, they have
additional "fallback" infrastructure (web servers and whatnot) which is
used when the ANAME target isn't available.

I'm not sure how this would work as a replacement for CNAME, when the
request from the user comes without any information about how to set up a
fallback server.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Biscay: Variable 3 or less, becoming southeast 3 or 4. Moderate, becoming