On 6/11/19 5:53 AM, Bob Harold wrote:

> If the camel was not already overloaded, then a cautious approach might
> be to put it in the additional section, *unless* there was a capability
> signal in the request that indicated that the requester would understand
> ANAME, or at least not have a problem if it were in the answer section.
>  I am guessing that the capability signal would be some EDNS option, or
> perhaps an EDNS version.  Is that reasonable?

An EDNS capabililty signal would allow the ANAME to be sent in the
answer bare, no accompanying A/AAAA needed.

In absence of that signal, the authoritative *could* return the ANAME in
the additional, but not sure if there would be much value to it,
assuming the signal was standard behaviour.

--
Michael Sheldon
Dev-DNS Services