Hi Paul,

> On Jul 1, 2019, at 14:00, Paul Wouters <p...@nohats.ca> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019, Petr Špaček wrote:
>
> [broken record on]
>
>> I would only add reference to
>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-frag-fragile/
>> + DNS Flag Day 2020, which is going to effectivelly kill UDP
>> fragmentation in DNS and thus require TCP for perfect operation.
>
> The internet does not do "flag days". Please stop calling it flag days.

The IETF might or might not do flag days, but the Internet
demonstrably has done, at least in the instance of the transition from
NCP to TCP/IP which gave rise to the meaning of the very phrase that
we are discussing. (Maybe the MULTICS ASCII transition was first, but
NCP -> TCP/IP certainly used the phrase.)

Whether or not the last so-called DNS flag day or the next one are
flag days according to anybody's personal definition, I think the
point was well made (in Bangkok the other month and in DC more
recently) that the use of the phrase seems have given the respective
exercises a greater sense of operational urgency, which, if true,
seems useful, necessary even.

We are in the realms of marketing, here, not niche philology. If you
want to raise awareness of something, marketing is necessary.

I don't see the benefit to anybody in complaining about it unless you
think the end goal is undesirable.

Joe