Matthijs,

On 04/07/2019 15.19, Matthijs Mekking wrote:

On 7/4/19 2:29 PM, Shane Kerr wrote:
2. QTYPE=ANAME: According to the current version of the draft, server
answering to ANAME must include the ANAME and should include the
sibling records. Let's modify the behavior and say the server should
not (must not) include the sibling records. Then the server performing
ANAME sibling address resolution could first query for ANAME before
trying A or AAAA. We get the same loop detection mechanism as with
CNAMEs at the cost of an extra query per ANAME

Again, I think what we should clarify is that it is a signal to not do
do ANAME target lookup. Sibling address records are fine and required at
some point.

I like this option the best, because the requester is interested in the
ANAME record in the particular zone, and so there is no need for
chasing.  While with address queries the requester is actually
interested in the target address, and so chasing makes sense.

We could change the specification such that a server that does ANAME
target lookups MUST use QTYPE=ANAME and servers receiving ANAME queries
MUST NOT chase the target and would solve the loop problem.

My main concern about this approach is the extra lookup required.

Keep in mind that most ANAME targets are NOT going to be ANAME
themselves (although probably many will), so this means that in most
cases ANAME servers will have to do an extra lookup before moving on to
usual A/AAAA lookups. These QTYPE=ANAME cannot be done in parallel with
A/AAAA queries, since those might trigger the ANAME loops that we are
trying to prevent.

If we change the specification such that sibling address records MUST be
in the response to an ANAME request that extra lookup is not needed.

I mean in the sense that it requires an extra lookup where the ANAME target is not another ANAME.

The logic looks something like this:

if answer.rrtype == ANAME:
    discovered_aname = query_for_aname(answer.rdata)
    if discovered_aname:
        answer.update_with_aname(discovered_aname)
    else:
        discovered_a = query_for_a(answer.rdata)
        answer.update_with_a(discovered_a)
        discovered_aaaa = query_for_aaaa(answer.rdata)
        answer.update_with_aaaa(discovered_aaaa)
reply(answer)

That query_for_aname() call is the extra lookup that using this method requires.

If the ANAME target is itself an ANAME, then indeed no extra work is required (in fact probably less).

However, if the ANAME target is not an ANAME, then an extra query and the associated delay is required (this is probably the more common path). The A & AAAA queries can be done in parallel, but they both have to wait until the ANAME is finished to avoid loops.

Cheers,

--
Shane