The problem here is that there is no post delegation maintenance occurring.  If
you are no longer under contract to serve the zone you should be able to
request the NS records pointing to your servers be removed.  If the zone
operator continues to list your servers in the zone you are able to request
that the entire delegation be removed with documented attempts to correct the
delegation first.

There where checks and balances built into the system. See RFC 1033. The
problem is that people are ignoring those checks and balances.

Mark

> On 9 Jul 2019, at 2:42 am, Michael J. Sheldon <mshel...@godaddy.com> wrote:
>
> This is something that has bugged me for a long time, and I'd love to see a
> good solution to.
>
> If a record is requested from an authoritative server, where the zone exists,
> but the records does not exist, the negative response is cached for <minimum>
> period of time.
>
> If a record is requested from an authoritative server, where the zone does
> not exist, generally the response is REFUSED, but *this is not cached* by the
> requesting server. This results in a nearly continuous stream of retries,
> which continue to result in the same response. Our authoritative servers see
> no less than 15%, and sometimes as much as 25% of our worldwide traffic as
> these non-authoritative responses.
>
> There needs to be a means to signal to a recursive server that it should not
> requery a REFUSED response for a specified period of time. Given that these
> record?
>
> Michael Sheldon
> Dev-DNS Services
> GoDaddy.com