That would be clearer or possibly just change that first "MUST NOT" to
"Authoritative only servers MUST NOT answer queries that are defined in this
protocol."

As the advice that:

"if the resolver can be configured to also be authoritative for some zones, it
can use that configuration to actually be authoritative for the addresses on
which it responds."

Surely means that it is answering a query made to the authoritative part so
would again be contradicted by saying:
"MUST only answer queries that are intended for the recursive resolver portion
of the server."

Sent from Mailbird
[http://www.getmailbird.com/?utm_source=Mailbird&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sent-from-mailbird]
On 12/02/2020 16:50:16, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@icann.org> wrote:
On Feb 12, 2020, at 1:59 AM, Robert Mortimer wrote:

> I may be missing something obvious but this draft seems to contradict it self
> as it says in the introduction:
>
> "Authoritative servers MUST NOT answer queries that are defined in this
> protocol."
>
> and then goes onto say in section 2:
>
> "if the resolver can be configured to also be authoritative for some zones,
> it can use that configuration to actually be authoritative for the addresses
> on which it responds."
>
> I also wonder what the correct behavior is for a server which is both
> recursive and authoritative - is it prohibited from supporting this protocol
> by that first "MUST NOT"?

Good call. Would it make both parts clearer if the introduction instead said:

Because the information returned in this protocol only applies to recursive
resolvers, servers that are acting as both authoritative servers and recursive
resolvers MUST only answer queries that are intended for the recursive
resolver portion of the server. Servers that are only authoritative servers
MUST NOT answer queries that are defined in this protocol.