On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 9:00 PM <internet-dra...@ietf.org> wrote:

> directories.
> This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the
> IETF.
>
>         Title           : Running a Root Server Local to a Resolver
>         Authors         : Warren Kumari
>                           Paul Hoffman
>         Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-08.txt
>         Pages           : 13
>         Date            : 2020-03-01
>
> Abstract:
>    Some DNS recursive resolvers have longer-than-desired round-trip
>    times to the closest DNS root server such as during a network attack.
>    Some DNS recursive resolver operators want to prevent snooping by
>    third parties of requests sent to DNS root servers.  Such resolvers
>    can greatly decrease the round-trip time and prevent observation of
>    requests by serving a copy of the full root zone on the same server,
>    such as on a loopback address or in the resolver software.  This
>    document shows how to start and maintain such a copy of the root zone
>    that does not cause problems for other users of the DNS, at the cost
>    of adding some operational fragility for the operator.
>
>    This document obsoletes RFC 7706.
>
>    [ This document is being collaborated on in Github at:
>    https://github.com/wkumari/draft-kh-dnsop-7706bis.  The most recent
>    version of the document, open issues, and so on should all be
>    available there.  The authors gratefully accept pull requests. ]

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis/

> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-08
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-08

> https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-08

Suggestions:

Abstract
"Some DNS recursive resolvers have longer-than-desired round-trip
times to the closest DNS root server such as during a network attack."

Suggested change:
Some DNS recursive resolvers have longer-than-desired round-trip
times to the closest DNS root server.  Some DNS recursive resolvers
may have difficulty getting responses from the root servers such as
during a network attack.

1.  Introduction

(end of fourth paragraph)
"The recursive resolver validates all responses from the
   root service on the same host, just as it would all validate

"would all validate" -> "would validate all"

2.  Requirements

(second bullet point)
"The system MUST have an up-to-date copy of the Key Signing Key
(KSK) [RFC4033] used to sign the DNS root."

-- Should we clarify as "the public portion of the Key Signing Key" ?
(They do not need the private key)

--
Bob Harold