In article <alpine.lrh.2.21.2005061346510.20...@bofh.nohats.ca> you write:
>> Requiring such records to become delegations may be impossible if the
>> existing names (that might now become apex records) require a CNAME.
>
>Why would this _require_ to be a CNAME ?

Administrative require, not technical.  This seems pretty
hypothetical, since I don't think I've ever seen a CNAME in a TLD
zone.

>> Another non-delegation record also commonly found in TLDs is
>> _nicname._tcp.<tld> SRV.
>
>_underscore labels are excempted in the draft already,  because
> [ they're not host names ]

Right, but that still doesn't deal with stuff like monitor-nominet.horse.

How about instead saying the zone has only names one level below the
zone cut, other than _underscore ones.  That prevents shadowed
delegations just as well and matches actual zone files a lot better.