Uh, no. The TC flag means "something didn't fit".
It is not restricted to glue, which is only in the additional section.
TC can also be set if something from the authority section didn't fit, or
if something didn't fit in the answer section.
(Obviously it would be the first section where something didn't fit that
matters.)

Well there's a question. Is there any DNS software that will keeps adding new sections to a truncated answer, e.g., a partial authority section but it has some additional records anyway. Seems unlikely but I honestly don't know.

In any event this whols plan still seems way overcomplicated. In my simple world, you can tell that an answer is a referral because it has an empty answer section and an non-empty authority section. A useful referral has some NS records in the authority section.

Let's see what other people think.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY