Hi folks,

I'm working on implementing SVCB and HTTPS in PowerDNS and I have some
questions about the wire-format for the multi-value parameters like
ipv{4,6}hint and alpn.

When there are multiple IP addresses in a hint, in what order should
they be on the wire? I would expect them to be ordered like an A/AAAA
RRSet's RDATA to be sorted as specified in 4034 section 6.3 ("… are
sorted by treating the RDATA portion of the canonical form of each RR as a
left-justified unsigned octet sequence in which the absence of an octet
sorts before a zero octet."). The draft says the hints are "an unordered
collection", but it would be great to mandate an on-the-wire ordering
here.

This will only work, of course, if multi-valued SvcParams are a set
(where duplicates are disallowed/ignored), which is also not explicit in
the draft for ipv{4,6}hint and alpn.

For the "mandatory" key, a sensible ordering (ascending) is specified
and it is explicit that a key can only be present once in the set.

Cheers,

Pieter

--
Pieter Lexis