> On 14 Sep 2020, at 17:07, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@icann.org> wrote:
>
> On Sep 14, 2020, at 2:33 AM, Peter van Dijk <peter.van.d...@powerdns.com>
> wrote:
>> In general, this document appears to suffer from a disconnect between
>> 'information published by an auth about itself' and 'information published
>> in a zone'.
>
> You and others here are completely correct about this, and it is definitely
> something that needs to be resolved before this idea moves forward.

I think more clarity is needed on what problem this draft solves. Is it to help
resolving servers select the authoritative server to query? How are resolving
servers expected/required to use this information? Publishing this sort of info
as a JSON blob or whatever purely for informational purposes seems fine. I’m
not so sure it’s a good idea if it will complicate resolver behaviour or leads
to operational difficulties: eg send all queries to the only name server for
some zone (on the other side of the planet) which does/doesn’t do (say) ECS.

Could this I-D lead on to something ickier, like stub resolvers signalling to
resolving servers that they want their queries to be resolved with/without
QNAME minimisation, ECS, some flavour of encrypted transport, etc, etc?