> On Mar 17, 2021, at 6:04 PM, Ben Schwartz
> <bemasc=40google....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>
> Release notes for this revision:
>       *  Simplify the IANA instructions (pure First Come First Served)
>       *  Recommend against publishing chains of >8 aliases
>       *  Clarify requirements for using SVCB with a transport proxy
>       *  Adjust guidance for Port Prefix Naming
>       *  Minor editorial updates
>
> I'm only aware of one outstanding issue: a proposal to change the name of the
> "echconfig" key to "ech".  This key corresponds to a value that is an
> "ECHConfigList", which is a collection of "ECHConfig" structs, and some
> implementers have reported that the singular/plural name-value mismatch
> created confusion.  This issue is discussed in detail here:
> https://github.com/MikeBishop/dns-alt-svc/pull/299
> <https://github.com/MikeBishop/dns-alt-svc/pull/299>.
>
> This name has no effect on queries, responses, or zone transfers, but it does
> appear in zone files.  Zone files will not be portable between
> implementations that use different names.  This is true whether we "burn" the
> current codepoint and allocate a new one, or simply rename the current
> codepoint.  However, using a new codepoint would allow updated
> implementations to support both names, facilitating zone file portability in
> one direction.  It would also be possible to support the old name with
> special-case name aliasing logic.
>
> In my view, the temporary portability benefit is too small to justify the
> permanent registry pollution of a deprecated codepoint, especially because
> ECH itself is not yet finalized, and there are no deployments except for
> standards development purposes.  However, others have disagreed.  We'll need
> to reach consensus before making any changes here.

Personally, I’d prefer to see the name change, and not burn a codepoint, as
long as we’re not breaking any zone files.

I think the question is: does anyone have a zone that has actually deployed the
echconfig parameter? I see many responses with SVCB/HTTPS records, but none
with the echconfig in practice. If someone is aware of a production deployment
that can’t move, please speak up!

Tommy