On Tue, 2021-06-01 at 08:59 +0200, Shane Kerr wrote:
> And maybe cache the value if desired?

I'm already looking forward to having serials in resolver cache dumps!

> At the very least, maybe the draft should be agnostic towards
> non-authoritative servers?
>
> So instead of:
>
>     This EDNS option is aimed only to authorative servers for a zone.
>     Resolvers and forwarders should ignore the option.  It's only
>     intended for hop-to-hop communication (not transitive).
>
> Maybe:
>
>     This EDNS option is aimed only at authoritative servers for a zone.
>     It's only intended for hop-to-hop communication (not transitive).
>     Resolver and forwarder behavior is undefined.

I like this. I suspect defining it well for answers from resolvers to
clients would open up a big can of worms that could kill the draft,
like many other drafts that have been crushed under the sheer weight of
scope creep.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk