Benjamin Kaduk <ka...@mit.edu> writes:

>> >    "status":  Include only if a class or type registration has been
>> >       deprecated or obsoleted.  In both cases, use the value "obsolete"
>> >       as the argument of the "status" statement.
>> >
>> > I don't see any logic in the XSLT that looks for "deprecated", just
>> > "OBSOLETE".  (This may be fine, given that there's not currently
>> > anything listed as deprecated in the live registry...)
>>
>> Right, the XSLT stylesheet is expected to work on those two registries in
>> their current state. The registry XML is loose in some respects and it is
>> not clear (to me at least) how a deprecated entry will exactly look like. It
>> would be certainly better to indicate the status e.g. with an XML attribute.
>> Searching for magic words like "OBSOLETE" in the entry text is brittle, but
>> it's currently the only way.
>
> Understood about the current way being brittle but nothing better being
> available (yet).
>
> My comment here was intended more along the lines of an apparent
> inconsistency between the text and the code -- the text says that we will
> set "status obsolete" if the registration is deprecated, but the XSLT
> doesn't do that.  IMO it would be better to either drop the text about
> deprecated or add code to look for it (but this is just a non-blocking
> comment so my opinion doesn't count for too much).

These are instructions for IANA regarding future updates, where
registry-deprecated items might come into play. They can choose how to deal
with it:

- either via manual updates of the YANG module, exactly as it is done for,
e.g., iana-if-type [RFC7224]
- or by extending the XSLT stylesheet, and possibly also fixing the flaws in
the XML

>> >        <apply-templates
>> >            select="iana:registry[@id='dns-parameters-2']"/>
>> >        <apply-templates
>> >            select="iana:registry[@id='dns-parameters-4']"/>
>> >
>> > Hardcoding the names "dns-parameters-2" and "dns-parameters-4" is in the
>> > class of things that (if I understand correctly) IANA is not always keen
>> > on people doing.  In this case it's probably not a big issue, since the
>> > output of the transformation will be looked at by a human before it's
>> > published, and we can modify the template if needed, but I do wonder if
>> > any identifier more closely aligned to the registry's role is available.
>>
>> Again, it is only required to work for the initial revision. I would be
>> happy to work with IANA on a more "durable" version of the stylesheet but,
>> as you wrote, the XML format may not be maintained for long.
>
> I feel pretty confident that IANA will continue to publish an XML version
> even if it ends up being generated from some other source.  Anyway, there's
> no urgency for getting a more "durable" version, so we should probably just
> wait and react if any issues arise in the future.

+1

Thanks, Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka