Hi Brian,

The proposal aims to authenticate parental NS and glue records by having the
parent sign their hash digests, embedded in new types of DS records.

1.) The separation of the data which requires authentication (parental NS +
glue records) from the place where authentication is provided can lead to a
race condition: What happens if updates do the NS or glue records have been
seen and cached by a resolver, but an old DS RRset is cached (or vice versa),
so that digests mismatch? How does this interfere with the notion that it is
acceptable to cache an RRset until its TTL expires?

2.) Conceptually, the goal of authenticating parental NS and glue records can
also be achieved by signing them directly at the parent. In this case, the
signature is bound directly to the data, and no race condition occurs. One may
object that the parent is not authoritative, but that's merely a legalistic
point: If we change the law and declare that the parent *can* sign these
records, then authentication of parental NS and glue records would in fact be
achieved. Thus my question -- why not pursue this route?

3.) Have any experiments been done to determine whether adding RRSIGs to
parental NS and glue records breaks existing deployments? (Pointers welcome.)

Best,
Peter