From: iesg <iesg-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Paul Hoffman
<paul.hoff...@icann.org>
Date: Wednesday, 25 August 2021 at 00:44
To: Eric Vyncke <evyn...@cisco.com>
Cc: dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>, The IESG <i...@ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc7816...@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc7816...@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ext] Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc7816bis-10:
(with DISCUSS)

    On Aug 24, 2021, at 5:23 AM, Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <nore...@ietf.org>
wrote:
    > == DISCUSS ==
    >
    > -- Section 2.1 --
    > I support Erik Kline's COMMENT on this and am raising it to a blocking
DISCUSS.

    > A/ in all the discussion in the last §, a AAAA would have the same
benefit when
    > compared to a NS QTYPE. Or what did I miss ?
    >
    > B/ the last two sentences "Another potential benefit...happy eyeballs
query for
    > the A QTYPE." are puzzling as using A QTYPE will actually only cache the A
    > answer for the minimized request and more and more Internet users are
using
    > IPv6 nowadays (and possibly even more recursive DNS servers).
    >
    > Hence, I would welcome some discussion in the last § about the benefit of
using
    > A QTYPE rather than AAAA QTYPE and, as suggested by Erik Kline, please
remove
    > the last 2 sentences.

    If we change from:

       A good candidate is to always use the "A"
       QTYPE because this is the least likely to raise issues in DNS
       software and middleboxes that do not properly support all QTYPEs.
       The QTYPE=A queries will also blend into traffic from non-minimising
       resolvers, making it in some cases harder to observe that the
       resolver is using QNAME minimisation.  Using the QTYPE that occurs
       most in incoming queries will slightly reduce the number of queries,
       as there is no extra check needed for delegations on non-apex
       records.  Another potential benefit of using QTYPE=A is that
       [RFC8305] clients that need answers for both the A and AAAA types
       will send the AAAA query first.  When minimising using QTYPE=A the
       minimised query might be useful, and now already in the cache, for
       the happy eyeballs query for the A QTYPE.

    to:

       Good candidatesare to always use the "A" or "AAAA"
       QTYPE because these is the least likely to raise issues in DNS
       software and middleboxes that do not properly support all QTYPEs.
       QTYPE=A or QTYPE=AAAA queries will also blend into traffic from
non-minimising
       resolvers, making it in some cases harder to observe that the
       resolver is using QNAME minimisation.  Using a QTYPE that occurs
       most in incoming queries will slightly reduce the number of queries,
       as there is no extra check needed for delegations on non-apex
       records.

    does that alleviate your concers?

    --Paul Hoffman