On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 01:09:00PM -0700, Erik Kline via Datatracker wrote:
> Erik Kline has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-tcp-requirements-13: Yes

> introductory paragraph, however.)
>

> Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/
> for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-tcp-requirements/

> COMMENT:
>
> [abstract vs. S1/S3, question]
>
> * The abstract says:
>
>    "...strongly
>    encourages the operational practice of permitting DNS messages to be
>    carried over TCP"
>
>   while section 1 says:
>
>    "...all DNS resolvers and recursive
>    servers MUST support and service both TCP and UDP queries"
>
>   and section 3 also some MUST text.
>
>   Should the abstract be updated to say MUST rather than just
>   "strongly encourages", or is there a subtly in here I'm missing?

"require" might be better than "MUST", on the principle that if a given
requirement is stated in more than one place, there is risk of inadvertent
skew between what is actually stated; such skew can cause interoperability
failure or security vulnerabilities if different implementations use the
differing behaviors.

-Ben