On Mar 21, 2022, at 13:10, Masataka Ohta <mo...@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
wrote:

> Ted Lemon wrote
>
>> It's pretty easy to intercept all packets destined for a particular IP
>> address and spoof the responses.
>
> Technically, yes, but, socially, no, not at all.
>
> It can be practically possible only if ISPs employees are socially
> compromised, which is criminal, or the ISP is ordered to do so
> by government.

https://therecord.media/klayswap-crypto-users-lose-funds-after-bgp-hijack/amp/

“ Using a rogue AS known as AS9457, on February 3, the attackers began
advertising that they owned the IP addresses that served developers.kakao.com,”

You can define every technical hack as a social problem because it involved
humans.

> The problem of DNSSEC, or PKI in general, is that, assuming such
> attacks, it is equally easy to socially compromise a zone with
> DNSSEC signature.

Yet that has never happened, unlike BGP attacks.

> It's pretty easy to forge certificates.
>
> Never rely on untrustworthy TTPs.

Yet I don’t hear you say to abandon TLS ?

> Because security by PKI including DNSSEC is not end to end

With TRRs in browsers like Firefox, it practically is.

> Or, can you improve DNSSEC to instantly invalidate compromised zone
> information, which is impossible with slowly acting CRLs.

DNSSEC has no CRLs, only TTLs. I think you meant PKI here, not DNSSEC?

>> Socially, having long enough message IDs is as secure as DNSSEC.

“Socially” makes no sense from a protocol level.

>> That is because authors of the original specification of DNSSEC
> ignored my comments

It was not ignored, it was rejected.

> For me, it was, has been and still is easy.

Please submit a draft with enough details for an implementer and/or sample code
so the IETF can objectively evaluate your claims.

Paul