On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 8:01 AM Francesca Palombini via Datatracker <
nore...@ietf.org> wrote:

> DISCUSS:
>
> Thank you for the work on this document.
>
> Many thanks to Cullen Jennings for his ART ART review:
> https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/art/CfAGYlDfw5kPjlhbujmikX43J6Q/.
>
> Thank you for addressing my previous DISCUSS and COMMENTs. I have reviewed
> v-09
> and I noticed 4 points were not addressed (or I missed them). Do let me
> know if
> you think no further clarifications were necessary - just making sure these
> were not missed, as I have not seen any answers to them.
>
> Re: the use of SHOULD - thank you for adding context to most of them. I
> did not
> see any added context to these following two SHOULDs:

OK, I've proposed adjustments to those two SHOULDs at
https://github.com/MikeBishop/dns-alt-svc/pull/392

> COMMENT:
>
> 4. -----
>
>  The value is then
>    validated and converted into wire-format in a manner specific to each
>    key.
>
> FP: Section 15.3.1 states
>
>    registration policy ([RFC8126], Section 4.5).  The designated expert
>    MUST ensure that the Format Reference is stable and publicly
>    available, and that it specifies how to convert the SvcParamValue's
>    presentation format to wire format.
>
> This covers the conversion, but does not cover the validation mentioned
> above.
> (This could be really easily addressed by making sure that not only it
> specifies how to convert but also how to validate).

I don't think this text change is necessary, because any specification of
the conversion necessarily also covers validation.  A "conversion" in this
context is an algorithm that accepts one input (an octet sequence) and
produces one output, which is either an octet sequence or a failure
indication.  If the conversion fails, we say that the input was invalid.

10. -----

> Table 1
>
> FP: The table reports that
>
>    | 65280-65534 | N/A             | Private Use    | (This document) |
>
> But that is not specified in the text above, that only talks about expert
> review registration policy. That should be made consistent.

This text was slightly adjusted in -09 based on your comment.   It now
reads "_New_ entries in this registry are subject to an Expert Review
registration policy" (emphasis mine).  This is consistent with the example
given in RFC 8126 Section 2.2.

I believe the source of confusion here is that RFC 8126 defines "Private
Use" twice, with incompatible meanings: Section 4.1 describes it as a
Registration Policy, whereas Section 6 defines it as a Registration
Status.  This registry is using the latter definition.