From: DNSOP <dnsop-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Ólafur Guðmundsson
<olafur=40cloudflare....@dmarc.ietf.org>
Date: Tuesday, 26 July 2022 at 15:29
To: Petr Špaček <pspa...@isc.org>
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org WG <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] signing parent-side NS (was: Re: Updating RFC 7344 for
cross-NS consistency)
Parent is authoritative for the existence of the delegation
Child is authoritative for the contents of the delegation

DNS design did not take this into account thus there is no "range" of Parent
only records,
DS is the only record that is explicitly a "violation" of this

IMHO RFC103x should have defined a DEL record in parent and NS in the child
then resolvers could have kept both sides.

Olafur

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 9:22 AM Petr Špaček
<pspa...@isc.org<mailto:pspa...@isc.org>> wrote:
On 28. 06. 22 16:20, Bob Harold wrote:
 > But the parent NS set is not covered by DNSSEC, and thus could be
spoofed??
 > (Wish we could fix that!)

I share your wish.

Does anyone else want to contribute?

Can people here share their memories of why it is not signed? I wasn't
doing DNS when this was designed and I think it would be good to
understand the motivation before we start proposing crazy things.

Thank you for your time.

--
Petr Špaček