On 02.08.22 10:35, Joe Abley wrote:

Had I wanted to do so, I would not have approached dnsop in the first place.
Had you wanted to which? I'm confused.

I came to this group because of concerns that Warren raised, and because the draft sits before me.  I have reviewed what discussion I could find in the logs relating to Warren's draft, which amounts to either (a) this is ICANN's problem or (b) there is nobody willing to make use of the space.  Please feel free to inform me if I have missed something.

Regarding (a), that is not my interpretation of RFC 6761.  RFC 6761 drops special use domains firmly in the lap of the IETF, which is presumably why Warren brought his draft here and why I came here and didn't go to ICANN.  Regarding (b), we have someone here willing to at least have the conversation.

By approaching dnsop in the first place with a box of freshly lit matches you
seem precisely to be ignoring the prior discussion.

I didn't light the matches.  That, I'm afraid, is the nature of the publication request.  From an ISE perspective, my intent is to take quite seriously concerns that the IESG raises, with an eye toward safety in this case.

If you don't intend to publish the drafts on your table then I don't understand
what you're saying in the context of the hat you're wearing.

I have not made a publication decision.  That decision would be far EASIER to make if this group provided guidance, which is why I am here.  Absent that guidance, I will... muddle along and make the best decision I can, again taking into account the IESG's forthcoming 5742 review.

I could have denied this publication request at its outset, but that would have sent a message to namespace researchers and developers that their work is not welcome, and that they should just ignore the IETF and the RFC series.  Is that what you would advocate?  Does that make the Internet safer?

Perhaps more fundamentally the idea of the ISE promoting work to be done in a
working group apparently without the involvement of the chairs itself seems
confusing. You know more about the job than I do, but in the past when I have
published documents through the independent stream, the ISE's consultation was
limited to an IESG conflict review.

The ISE may consult whoever is necessary to consult to achieve the best outcome.  Let's please not attempt to make this a process argument.

Eliot