On Oct 5, 2022, at 11:36 AM, Peter Thomassen <pe...@desec.io> wrote:

>>> I think that's much better, but it remains vague in that it leaves open
>>> what those other versions were.
>>>
>>> I know there are some RFCs that defined KEY records etc. Is that's what's
>>> meant? Perhaps we should add something like:
>>>
>>> (Or whatever is the appropriate set of documents.)
>> Given that we don't have clear version numbers, I would kinda prefer not to
>> do that. Does RFC 2535 represent a clear description of an earlier
>> incarnation/version of DNSSEC? It doesn't feel that way to me.
> I wasn't around at that time, so I don't know. Based on the fact that the
> current incarnation was dubbed version 3, I assumed that other revisions can
> be pointed to more or less precisely. Apologies if I misunderstood.
>
> My point is precisely that if we can't pinpoint what we mean by "earlier
> incarnations", the text shouldn't sound like they were stable versions that
> were merely thinly deployed.

I fully agree that they shouldn't sound like stable versions, thus my use of
the vague word "incarnations". I'm happy to use a different word that is even
less version-like.

> So, my suggestion would be that if we know what those incarnations are, let's
> add references so people can dig further if they are interested. If we can't
> point to a specification and/or don't know what those incarnations are, I
> think it would be better to say they "... were not fully specified and saw
> only little deployment" or not talk about them at all.

I think we have to talk about them a bit so that the reader doesn't ask the
question "how come there are DNSSEC RFCs that vastly pre-date 4033?".

--Paul Hoffman