Paul Wouters has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-bcp-05: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-bcp/

DISCUSS:

Since draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc5933-bis is in IETF Last Call now, I think it is
worth waiting on and updating this text:

   The GOST signing algorithm [RFC5933] was also adopted, but
   has seen very limited use, likely because it is a national algorithm
   specific to a very small number of countries.

To add a reference that RFCXXX updates the GOST algorithms for DNSSEC (but that
it is uncertain at this point whether it will be widely adopted)

I could be convinced for this document to not wait, but then I do think this
paragraph should state that it is NOT RECOMMENDED to implement RFC5933 since
the underlying GOST algorithms have been deprecated by its issuer.

COMMENT:

   One purpose is to introduce all of the RFCs in one place so
   that the reader can understand the many aspects of DNSSEC.  This
   document does not update any of those RFCs.  Another purpose is to
   move DNSSEC to Best Current Practice status.

I think another purpose not mentioned, which for me was a main motivator for
this document, is to provide a single RFC reference for other documents that
want to point to "DNSSEC" using a single reference instead of referring to the
3 core components (in an incomplete way)

   More than 15 years after the DNSSEC specification was published, it
   is still not widely deployed.  Recent estimates are that fewer than
   10% of the domain names used for web sites are signed, and only
   around a third of queries to recursive resolvers are validated.

What is the value of this paragraph? You wouldn't want to have a single IPv6
reference RFC say this either :)

This document will be "the reference RFC" for a long time. It should not have
dated/outdated statistics in it.

   However, this low level of implementation does not affect whether
   DNSSEC is a best current practice

I don't think the level of implementation is low. It is actually quite high.
Practically all DNS software implements it. I think you meant deployment ?

NITS:

   which algorithms recursive resolver operators should or should not
   validate.

change to:

   which algorithms recursive resolver operations should or should not
   use for validation

(the algorithms themselves are not validated)