It appears that Eliot Lear  <l...@lear.ch> said:
>As a matter of practicality, a registry surely will be form.  It is
>simply a matter of whether the IANA will host it.  If the IANA does not
>host it, then by shifting it elsewhere this group is actually weakening
>the IANA function, and that would be sad.

But trying to turn IANA and .alt into a junior version of ICANN would
be much worse than sad. Anyone who has spent any time at all anywhere
near ICANN will assure you that anything that looks even a little bit
like a place where party A can exclude party B from using name C will
attract a whole lot of attention from people you do not want to waste
time with.

I agree that nature abhors a vacuum, but for this particular vacuum,
I would be delighted for the suckage to happen elsewhere.

R's,
John