Dear WG,

The proposal to make the term "bailiwick" historical has found consensus in
the WG. We are now using "in-domain" and "sibling" name servers as the
preferred terms. This was suggested during the interim meeting and no
objections were raised on the mailing list. No good alternative term was
found for the term "out of bailiwick", and two other suggestions did not
find much traction. The DNSOP co-chairs and AD discussed alternative terms
at length and decided not to introduce a new term for the historical
concept "out-of-bailiwick".

To make the new terms "in-domain" and "sibling" name servers more prominent
in the rfc8499bis document, we recommend that the authors move the
definition of "in-domain" and "sibling" name servers outside the bailiwick
definition, on the same level as the other terms, like "glue record" and
"lame delegation".

The terms "in-bailiwick", "out-of-bailiwick" and the base term "bailiwick"
will all be designated as historic in 8499-bis.

As for the discussion of "necessary" versus "useful" glue, we feel the
working group doesn't have consensus to address this.

(Side note: In discussion with DNS software implementers, our understanding
is that glue means additional-section records that the sender of the
referral imagines might possibly be helpful to the receiver (which in turn
means it might be helpful to the sender, since the sender is in the
business of sending things that can be used). The sender has no way of
knowing for sure whether that will turn out to be true at the time when the
response is sent.)

The chairs also suggest adding an additional column to the example table.

Feedback welcome here.

We are looking for feedback, as well as suggested text.  Plus some rfcdiff
output.

Tim/Benno/Suzzane

----

Suggested Text:

   Glue records:  "...[Resource records] which are not part of the

      authoritative data [of the zone], and are address RRs for the

      [name] servers [in subzones].  These RRs are only necessary if the

      name server's name is 'below' the cut, and are only used as part

      of a referral response."  Without glue "we could be faced with the

      situation where the NS RRs tell us that in order to learn a name

      server's address, we should contact the server using the address

      we wish to learn."  (Quoted from [RFC1034], Section 4.2.1)

      A later definition is that glue "includes any record in a zone

      file that is not properly part of that zone, including nameserver

      records of delegated sub-zones (NS records), address records that

      accompany those NS records (A, AAAA, etc), and any other stray

      data that might appear."  (Quoted from [RFC2181], Section 5.4.1)

      Although glue is sometimes used today with this wider definition

      in mind, the context surrounding the definition in [RFC2181]

      suggests it is intended to apply to the use of glue within the

      document itself and not necessarily beyond.

    In-domain Glue: a modifier to describe a name server whose name is

         either subordinate to or (rarely) the same as the owner name of

         the NS resource records.  An in-domain name server name needs

         to have glue records or name resolution fails.  For example, a

         delegation for "child.example.com" may have "in-domain" name

         server name "ns.child.example.com".

     Sibling domain Glue: a name server's name that is either subordinate

         to or (rarely) the same as the zone origin and not subordinate

         to or the same as the owner name of the NS resource records.

         Glue records for sibling domains are allowed, but not

         necessary.  For example, a delegation for "child.example.com"

         in "example.com" zone may have "sibling" name server name

         "ns.another.example.com".

   The following table shows examples of delegation types.

   Delegation |Parent|Name Server Name  | Type            | "Include Glue"

   -----------+------+------------------+-----------------+-----------

   com        | .    |a.gtld-servers.net| sibling domain  | could

   net        | .    |a.gtld-servers.net| in-domain       | should

   example.org| org  |ns.example.org    | in-domain       | should

   example.org| org  |ns.ietf.org       | sibling domain  | could

   example.org| org  |ns.example.com    | neither         | should not

   example.jp | jp   |ns.example.jp     | in-domain       | should

   example.jp | jp   |ns.example.ne.jp  | sibling domain  | could

   example.jp | jp   |ns.example.com    | neither         | should not

   Bailiwick:  "In-bailiwick" and "Out-of-bailiwick" are modifiers used

      to describe the relationship between a zone and the name servers

      for that zone.  The dictionary definition of bailiwick has been

      observed to cause more confusion than meaning for this use.

      These terms should be considered historic in nature.

----

(Also saved as: https://github.com/moonshiner/gluedefs)

<<< text/html; charset="US-ASCII"; name="rfcdiff.html": Unrecognized >>>