On Fri Jan 20, 2023 at 6:53 PM UTC, Paul Wouters wrote:
> It seems there should be more discussion which hopefully would lead to
> a converging BCP before moving forward. Hearing from other main
> implementations would be extremely helpful here.

i have always been a fan of ISC's work, but i agree with two implications
of the above observation. first, as stated, we should hear from more than
one dominant implementations. second, unstated above but implied, the
priorities of an implementer are sometimes time-variant (the implementer
may think differently later) and often narrow (having more to do with the
problems that implementer sees than with what the community can foresee.)

long before the heat death of the universe, packets must grow in order to
amortize header processing costs against larger payloads. yet fragmentation
must not return. we ought to pave a step or two down the path that EDNS
incorrectly precluded us from in its earliest and most ignorant form.

so, i appear to be +1 to mr. wouters' suggestion above, for those reasons.

vixie