On 4 Jul 2023, at 10:03, Peter Thomassen wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> Thank you very much for your feedback -- responses inline.
> o "inline" the actual definition, but that was just a feeling.)
>
>> Also, “Signaling Name” sounds
>> confusing compared to the Signaling Domain. Would it be easier to write it
>> as:
>>
>> “Signaling Name  The owner name of comprised of a prefix, the Child zone name
>> and the Signaling domain name. Used by the Parental Agent to identify and
>> retrieve the Signaling Type used by the Child zone (See Section 2.2). “
>>
>> To stress it is a name in the Signaling Domain, but contains the child zone
>> name.
>
> Coming up with this terminology was really challenging. The reason that the
> Signaling Name is only the prefix, without the Signaling Domain, is that it
> makes the rest of the spec easier. For example, from Section 3.1:
>
>    To [...]
>    authenticate the Child's CDS/CDNSKEY RRsets, the Child DNS Operator
>    MUST co-publish them at the corresponding Signaling Name under each
>    out-of-bailiwick Signaling Domain [...]
>
> With your definition, one would have to say
>
>    To [...]
>    authenticate the Child's CDS/CDNSKEY RRsets, the Child DNS Operator
>    MUST co-publish them at each corresponding out-of-bailiwick Signaling
>    Name [...]
>
> Do you feel that's an improvement?

I honestly don’t have a good solution so maybe the original wording is best.

I was thinking maybe changing it to “Signaling Name Prefix” but that isn’t an
improvement either.

I would be fine in leaving the text as-is since there doesn’t seem to be a
better wording that is apparent. The rest of the doc is clear as to how the
name is formed and used and that is the important part.

I am fine with the other changes. I can update the review to “Ready” to
finalize things for this version.

Scott