Hi Mark,

1. 464XLAT is indeed an alternative, but a bad one: it means that the client
should have a local IPv4 subnet.
The DNS resolver should prepare the packet in IPv4 format, then fetch it to the
CLAT engine where it would be translated to IPv6.

It is not an IPv6-only network. You have to have an IPv4 stack on the DNS
resolver anyway. Such a solution does not have too much sense for IPv6 progress
– we already have DualStack.

Well, OK. IPv4 (and CLAT) would be only inside hosts, not on network links and
routers. It is not nice anyway – software guys would probably be in strong
opposition.

2. An outdated statistic that I have seen for Mobile was:

·       75% of traffic is native IPv6,

·       24% is NAT64 whereas DNS64 is faking IPv6 address for IPv4-only
resources,

·       1% and declining is CLAT (then NAT64/PLAT).

Hence, disabling DNS64 is to move 24% to CLAT. It is possible but would be
strong opposition to an additional translation on the traffic path (including
some IPv6 WG members).

A reminder that in both cases traffic is coming through PLAT/NAT64 which is
expensive. CLAT is almost 0$ cost (a little for support).

I am personally in favor of canceling DNS64 and moving ¼ of Telco traffic
through CLAT (in smartphone or CPE) – additional CLAT is not a problem – DNSSEC
is a good reason for it.

But I am sure that Carrier already implemented all of these and would not
listen to us. Do not touch anything that works on a massive scale (or have a
very-very strong reason that everybody is probably suffering already). Carriers
are not suffering from DNSSEC adoption. Sorry.

3. MAP is not supported by any Mobile OS. You could just ignore it like it does
not exist – no difference.

Fixed Broadband has a choice, but historically MAP was absent in CPEs (RFC 8585
is from May 2019).

And it has a problem with the huge IPv4 address space requirement – not many
carriers are so rich on the legacy address space.

Hence, the average person has enough fingers to count MAP installations
worldwide.

Disclaimer: I believe that MAP technically is the best. But the train has
passed.

I feel the pain from DNSSEC progress. I agree that DNSSEC is something VERY
important.

Just blocking this small feature would not help to resurrect DNSSEC – the
battle was lost at different times (5-10 years ago) and for different reasons
(avoid additional NAT/CLAT translation).

Hence, help to move IPv6 forward to cancel DNS64 – it would not be needed in an
IPv6-only world (fingers crossed).

Albeit, the feature is small that would not greatly speed up IPv6 adoption. It
is positive anyway.

Effectively, this is the request for an additional 0.000001% of hosts to use
DNS64 to billions that already support it.

Eduard