On 13 Oct 2023, at 17:22, Paul Wouters <p...@nohats.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2023, Tim Wicinski wrote:
>
>> The draft is available here:
>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bash-rfc7958bis/
>> Here is the diff from RFC7958 itself:
>> https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url1=rfc7958&url2=draft-bash-rfc7958bis-01&difftype=--html
>> Please review this draft to see if you think it is suitable for adoption
>> by DNSOP, and send any comments to the list, clearly stating your view.
>> Please also indicate if you are willing to contribute text, review, etc.
>
> Suitable for adoption. I do find it a little strange the document is
> basically IANA publishing policy, and the document containing
> non-IANA/ICANN authors :P

Well I was actually ICANN staff when I helped write the original :-)

If there's something in here that doesn't match reality then there's an IANA
review that has to pass before the document gets stamped with a number, and I'm
pretty sure that review would not pass if this was all so many contrived lies.

Our rationale when we published 7958 was that this information relating to the
Internet infrastructure that is relevant to a general audience, and it belongs
in the RFC series since we want to represent a specification that people can
code against. I think the same argument holds with the successor.

A benefit of keeping the changes to the spec in the RFC series is that we
retain the whole history and don't have to resort to e-mail archives or the
Internet Archive to find out what changed when and why.

I don't think you were suggesting otherwise or disagreeing with any of the
above, but I thought the context might be useful to others following along.

While I think it's also plausible to imagine this document being published as
an individual or AD-sponsored submission away from dnsop, I think it'd be much
better to have dnsop eyes on it and get the benefit of any suggested
improvements for clarity, avoidance of ambiguity, etc.

Joe