Hi Gavin,

On Thu, Nov 23, 2023 at 5:08 PM Gavin Brown <gavin.br...@icann.org> wrote:
[snip]
> Neither DNS nor HTTP are end-to-end protocols; there are often multiple
> intermediaries between stub resolver and authority server (for DNS) and user
> agent and origin (for HTTP), which often cache things that pass through them.
>
> Given the above, if a website operator wants to update their home page, won't
> they need to pre-publish the digest of the new content, so that user agents
> that rely on this information won't refuse to load pages because the previous
> digest is cached?

Yes, that's correct.

Relatedly: it seems important to support transition phases during
which at least one stale/cached digest is published alongside the
current/fresh digest, and for user-agents to consider any of those
values acceptable as an equality-match after applying the appropriate
hash method to the response content[1] received from the homepage.

Webserver operators should configure HTTP response directives that
instruct web caches to expire homepage content within a duration no
longer than the TTL of the DNS integrity record.  Web clients
intending to validate integrity should use the TTL value from the
integrity record as an upper-bound on their local cache lifetime for
the associated homepage URI.

Regards,
James

[1] - I'm not aware of any practical integrity attacks on web
user-agents that would rely solely on non-body-content of an HTTP
response, a way an attacker might attempt to evade the suggested
check, but I get the feeling that such possibilities could exist.