On 13 Dec 2023, at 18:12, Paul Wouters <p...@nohats.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Dec 2023, Joe Abley wrote:
>
>>> On 13 Dec 2023, at 16:37, Paul Wouters <p...@nohats.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> It should probably change TCP to “source IP validated transports (dns over
>>> stuff, tcp and udp cookies)
>>
>> Since it is possible to imagine networks in which source address spoofing is
>> not possible, and hence in which queries received over UDP could be said to
>> fit that description, any phrase like that would need a careful definition.
>
> Why? If the network has a guarantee against source spoofing, isn't it by
> definition that its UDP is a "source IP validated transport" ?

Well, because private networks leak all over the place, and I think we want to
be conservative in what we recommend is implemented.

More generally, "validated" invites the question of who is validating what and
how, and I think there is a big set of possible answers to that question.

>> However if we just mean "all transports currently defined that are not UDP"
>> we could just say that. Anticipating the full range of variables associated
>> with future transports that are not yet specified seems a bit much.
>
> I dont think we should say that. Especially also because UDP with
> COOKIES is a source ip validated transport.

Imagining that we fixed the phrase to accommodate the case of UDP transport
with cookies, why?

Joe