On Tue, Dec 12, 2023 at 9:18 PM, Paul Wouters <nore...@ietf.org> wrote:

> Paul Wouters has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-error-reporting-07: Discuss

> introductory paragraph, however.)
>
> Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/
> handling-ballot-positions/ for more information about how to handle
> DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-error-reporting/

> DISCUSS:
>
> This document gives no guidance on the content of the TXT resource record
> RDATA for this record.
>
> Based on this, I assume the error report query is of qtype TXT, but this
> is not specified anywhere in the document. Someone could use a qtype of
> CNAME or ANY or just A or AAAA. Can this be stated explicitly ?

Erm, I think that it is?

Section 3.  Terminology
"   Report query:  The DNS query used to report an error is called a
      report query.  A report query is for a DNS TXT resource record
      type.  The content of the error report is encoded in the QNAME of
      a DNS request to the monitoring agent."

Section 4.  Overview
"The resulting report query is sent as a standard DNS query for a TXT
   DNS resource record type by the reporting resolver."

7.  IANA Considerations
   "IANA is requested to assign the following Underscored and Globally
   Scoped DNS Node Name registry:

         RR Type  _NODE NAME  Reference
         -----    ----------  ---------
         TXT      _er         [this document]
"

> In Section 6.1.1. Constructing the Report Query, only the QNAME
> construction is documented, not the QTYPE (or CLASS but there is a
> reference that says only IN is supported)
>
> While no guidance on (TXT?) RDATA sending is fine, there should really be
> a Security Consideration on what to do with any RDATA. Let's avoid another
> vector for log4j.

Yup, this is a good point — the document says:
" It is RECOMMENDED that the authoritative server for the agent
domain replies with a positive response (i.e. not NODATA or
NXDOMAIN) containing a TXT record.".
Would simply noting that this is untrusted data and should be sanitized /
something before stuffing it into logs / displaying it / etc?

The reporting resolver MUST NOT use DNS error reporting to report a failure