Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-error-reporting-07: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-error-reporting/

COMMENT:

Hi,

Thanks for this document.

DNS really isn't my area of expertise, and it may be that if I was very
familiar with DNS and DNS deployment then the approach taken here for error
reporting would seems like the obvious and pragmatic choice.  Specifically, I
do appreciate that this is a lightweight solution, and the solution may well be
good enough to achieve its goals of better error reporting without too much
effort and without causing too much confusion.

But, without the domain knowledge, I'm not particularly enamored on the
approach of overloading the error reporting onto the basic DNS query mechanism
rather than a separate message type or channel.  It feels a bit like if the
only thing that you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail ... and
ultimately I'm concerned that the error reports that looks like a query, but
are not really a query, may end up being confusing in logs, debugging, etc.,
for non-expert users.  Hopefully, this doesn't happen when it gets deployed,
and if it does then I guess that the plan B option of deprecating this approach
and specifying a more heavyweight out of band mechanism always exists.