On Jan 9, 2024, at 19:17, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@icann.org> wrote:
>> Perhaps a recommendation could be to check with ZONEMD and do an AXFR,
>> eg recomend implementing RFC 8806 - "Running a Root Server Local to a
>> Resolver".
>> Comes with added bonuses on top of a signature on all the root glue.
>>
>> I still think this would also still be good to mention.
>
> This would be a very comfusing mention because the resolver isn't really
> "priming" at that point, it's using a complete root zone. I'll cover this
> with an addition to the Security Considerations section:
>
> <t>This document does not cover the use of (or the need for) priming when
> serving a copy of the full root zone on the same server as the resolver,
> such as is described in <xref target="RFC8806"/>.
> In such a setup, the resolver never really primes its cache because the
> cache is full as soon as the resolver pulls down a new complete root zone.</t>
>
> (Suggestions for better wording are welcome!)

Or, as PaulW just pointed out to me offline, I might just be wrong. RFC 8806
puts a copy of the root zone in an authoritative service next to the resolver,
not into the cache. Thus, priming the cache is still needed, it's just done
much more locally.

I have removed the paragraph proposed above, and replace it near the front of
the document with:

<t>Some systems serve a copy of the full root zone on the same server as the
resolver,
such as is described in <xref target="RFC8806"/>.
In such a setup, the resolver primes its cache using the same methods as
described in the rest of this document.</t>

--Paul Hoffman