From: DNSOP <dnsop-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Edward Lewis
<edward.le...@icann.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2024 1:21 PM
To: dnsop@ietf.org <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: [DNSOP] General comment about downgrades vs. setting expectations in
protocol definitions

!-------------------------------------------------------------------|
  This Message Is From an External Sender

|-------------------------------------------------------------------!

I hear talk about "downgrade attacks" frequently, across different ideas.
Hearing it again in the context of DELEG, I had this thought.

We often wind up mired in discussions about downgrades, what they mean, the
consequences.  I'd suggest, as definers of protocols, we think in terms of
ensuring that receivers of messages have an expectation of something.  Inside
protocol rules, data may be expected and arrive, expected and not, unexpected
and arrive, or unexpected and not arrive.  A downgrade attack is a diagnosis of
"expected and not".

A protocol ought to be documented to set up the receiver's expectations and
define what the receiver does when they are not met.

Apologies for this generic message, when looking at the DELEG documents again,
it'll be something I'll keep in mind.  I.e., the proposal to define one of the
flags in the DNSKEY resource record format is setting up an expectation....