Moin!

On 31 Jan 2024, at 15:33, Paul Wouters wrote:
> I tried to show some of of these in my "Costs of deleg" slide.
> A new RRtype has a fairly big cost meassures in years, both in
> terms of DNS software, DNS deployment and worse, in Registrar
> deployment for Registrant webui elements.

While this is true, there are a lot of players from different part
of the ecosystem that want to work on DELEG (see contributors).

>> 2) no extra queries.
>
> I am sure I don't yet fully understand the cost of queries in various
> scenarios. This relates to amortization of re-using the same nameserver
> for lots of domains. And the deployment of multi-qtype. And caching. And
> whether we end up with semi-long lived DoT connections. And TTL.

Even if you use the same name server in different domains that does not mean
that it will be only resolved once and reused. In fact this popular beahviour
keeps getting exploited for cache poisoning for decades now, hence some
resolvers have different record and delegation caches and only fill the
delegation cache entry while iterating for this domain and even then sometimes
ignore the result to make it unpredictable for an attacker when a delegation
update will occur.

Hope this clears this up.

So long
-Ralf