Hi all,

Speaking as one of the DNS implementers and as part of providing feedback on the current draft revision, we have reformulated recommendation R2. It expresses the intention not to fragment UDP packets and points out that different operating systems have different ways of achieving this.

The current concern of open-source software DNS developers is with Linux that the IP_MTU_DISCOVER is not well documented, it has changed over time, one has to look into the kernel code to see what is really going on, and it is fragile.

New text for R2:

-----

R2. UDP responders should configure their systems to prevent fragmentation of UDP packets when sending replies, provided it can be done safely. The mechanisms to achieve this vary across different operating systems.

For BSD-like operating systems, the IP "Don't Fragment flag (DF) bit" [RFC0791] can be used to prevent fragmentation. In contrast, Linux systems do not expose a direct API for this purpose and require the use of Path MTU socket options (IP_MTU_DISCOVER) to manage fragmentation settings. However, it is important to note that enabling IPv4 Path MTU Discovery for UDP in current Linux versions is considered harmful and dangerous. For more details, refer to Appendix C.

-----