On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 10:25 AM Vandan Adhvaryu <vandanadhvary...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently at ICANN80 there was a DNSSEC workshop. In one of the topics, we
> discussed the bootstrapping of DS records by using a NOTIFY capability
> (draft-ietf-dnsop-generalized-notify-01).
>
> I was wondering if the DSYNC notify comes with an "expiry" or if there
> should be any stringent requirements on the Parent TLD to reply to the
> NOTIFY in a certain time frame when DNSSEC is involved?

Is there a need? NOTIFY is a query/response protocol with retries (if using
UDP; if using TCP, timeout and retry is obtained from the TCP layer). From
RFC 1996:

   3.3. NOTIFY is similar to QUERY in that it has a request message with
   the header QR flag "clear" and a response message with QR "set".  The
   response message contains no useful information, but its reception by
   the master is an indication that the slave has received the NOTIFY
   and that the master can remove the slave from any retry queue for
   this NOTIFY event.

The NOTIFY client generally decides on details of their timeout and retry
algorithm, and at what point to give up (although the RFC has some
recommendations about parameters).

Shumon.