Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnsop-zoneversion-08: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-zoneversion/

DISCUSS:

# Éric Vyncke, INT AD, comments for draft-ietf-dnsop-zoneversion-08

Thank you for the work put into this document. The value for troubleshooting is
clear and I would have ballot a YES (once my trivial DISCUSS is resolved) if
this I-D was standard track rather than informational.

Please find below one blocking DISCUSS points (easy to address), some
non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be appreciated even if only for
my own education), and some nits.

Special thanks to Tim Wicinski for the shepherd's short write-up including the
WG consensus even if the justification of the intended status could provide
more information (informational seems a low bar, why not PS for such an
important change).

I hope that this review helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

# DISCUSS (blocking)

As noted in https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/, a
DISCUSS ballot is a request to have a discussion on the following topics:

## Wrong BCP 14

Easy to fix: the BCP 14 template is the old one.

COMMENT:

# COMMENTS (non-blocking)

## Intended status

While the IANA "DNS EDNS0 Option Codes (OPT)" registry does not require a
standard track document, many other entries are PS, e.g., RFC 7828 for the
edns-tcp-keepalive option. Why not aiming for this status? Especially when
using normative BCP 14 language.

## Abstract

s/since the version and the data are provided atomically/since the version and
the DNS answer are provided atomically/ ? Data being relatively vague.

## Section 1

Suggest repeating the RFC 5001 reference.

s/such as relational databases/such as replicated databases/ ?

`To accomodate these use cases, new ZONEVERSION types should be defined in
future specifications` perhaps s/should/could/ ?

## Section 3.2

In `A name server MUST ignore invalid ZONEVERSION options` what is an "invalid"
ZONEVERSION in this context? Related to this point, what should a server do
when receiving the option with a non-zero length ?

## Section 7.1

Should
https://www.iana.org/assignments/dns-parameters/dns-parameters.xhtml#dns-parameters-11
be added ?

# NITS (non-blocking / cosmetic)

## Section 1

s/authoritative DNS severs to provide/authoritative DNS se*R*vers to provide/

s/distrubtion/distribution/

It seems that the I-D would benefit from a automated corrector pass ;-) I will
stop doing this role

## Section 2.1

s/1 octet Label Count/1-octet Label Count/ ?