my bad, forgot to add the ref:

[0] https://par.nsf.gov/servlets/purl/10186683
or
https://catalog.caida.org/paper/2020_when_parents_children_disagree

On 08-07-2024 12:55, Giovane C. M. Moura wrote:
Hi Willem,

We've got a peer-reviewed reference[0]  that can help back up some of the claims in the draft.

```
2.  Motivation

    There is wide variability in the behavior of deployed DNS resolvers
    today with respect to how they process delegation records.  Some of
    them prefer the parent NS set, some prefer the child, and for others,
    what they preferentially cache depends on the dynamic state of
    queries and responses they have processed.

```

Section 4 in [0] covers a bunch of such cases with Ripe Atlas, and we see just that, and section 5 evaluate some resolver software individually. In short: it backs up what you say

```
The delegation NS RRset at the bottom of the parent zone and the apex
    NS RRset in the child zone are unsynchronized in the DNS protocol.
    Section 4.2.2 of [RFC1034] says "The administrators of both zones
    should insure that the NS and glue RRs which mark both sides of the
    cut are consistent and remain so.
```

We found 13M of domains having parent/child NSSet inconsistency, from .com, .org, and .net, which amounts to 8% of the total.

thanks,

/giovane