An HTML-version of this newsletter is available at
http://www.fnf.org.ph/enewsletter/index.htm

Liberal Times Manila

A monthly newsletter of the Friedrich-Naumann-Foundation’s Philippine Office

Ladies and Gentlemen,
dear friends of the Friedrich-Naumann-Foundation,     29/10/2004

there has been quite a lot of strategizing in the liberal family recently. Following
what is perceived as a significant strategic planning workshop of the Liberal Party in
late July the National Institute for Policy Studies (NIPS) held a strategic planning
session in Batangas City in late September. There, the organization accentuated its
role as “an independent think-tank providing policy support to the Liberal Party in
order to realize the liberal vision for the Philippines.” The educational formation of
LP members and supporters was highlighted as a core activity. It is in this field that
the liberal foundation and the liberal think tank have been cooperating over the years
and intend to continue doing so in the future.

While strategic planning is essential for advancing one’s objectives, the best plan is
worthless if it is not implemented. This was one of the issues at a joint session of
the FNF’s Philippine staff with the NIPS board earlier this week at which we discussed
programs and activities for the rest of the year and 2005. Beyond a series of basic
orientation workshops on liberal democracy, NIPS and the liberal Foundation intend to
cooperate regarding training sessions and seminars on the side-lines of the National
Congress for the Young Liberals of the Philippines (Kalipi) slated for late November
in Roxas City. Go to www.nips.org.ph for more information.

Meanwhile, our office has been fairly busy these days coordinating a major
international activity … far away. The Young Leaders’ Workshop of the Young Liberals
and Democrats of Asia (YLDA) will be held next week in Kathmandu/Nepal.  Young liberal
activists from more than a dozen Asian countries will convene in the capital of the
mountain kingdom to deal with the theme “Liberalism and Fundamentalism” and hold their
Annual General Meeting. YLDA has just set up what may be termed the rudiments of a
permanent secretariat at the joint FNF-CALD-premises in Makati City. This, once more,
underscores the role of Manila as a hub of liberal networking in the wider region.
For more info on YLDA and the upcoming activities go to www.yldasia.org.

Earlier this month I was invited to Taipei for a series of meetings on how best to
promote democracy in Asia. To my knowledge, this get-together of democracy activists
and political party representatives was the first of its kind in Asia to be organized
and fully sponsored by an Asian organization: the Taiwan Foundation for Democracy.
Regrettably, democracy assistance and promotion in this part of the world has thus far
been the exclusive domain of players from outside the region, mainly North America and
Western Europe.  In a commentary, excerpts of which are attached to this note, I argue
that it is time that this is changed and the wealthy East Asian democracies, namely
South Korea and Japan, take a lead. The full text of my commentary as well as other
liberal writings may be found at
http://www.fnf.org.ph/liberalopinion/2004-10-19-spreaddemocracy.htm

Finally, I wish to announce that two new staff members have joined the FNF-team in
Manila. Find out more about our new colleagues and their responsibilities at
http://www.fnf.org.ph/index.htm

Thank you and kind regards,

 Dr. Ronald Meinardus

Asians must do more to promote democracy (Excerpts)

… Recently, I attended a workshop in Taipei that dealt with the question what could be
done to strengthen and coordinate the efforts of promoting democracy in Asia. I have
attended numerous such discussions in the past. But this session in the Taiwanese
capital was an exception. As far as I can recall this was the first time the hosting
organization was Asian, and so were the majority of the participating democratic
activists and politicians. The host was the Taiwan Foundation for Democracy.  This
organization -- the first democracy assistance foundation in the Asian continent - was
established just over a year ago with the declared objective to study and promote
democracy both at home and abroad. It follows in the footsteps of the European and
North American political foundations, which the Taiwanese say they are trying to
emulate.

The eagerness of the Taiwanese government to set up such an institute in this part of
the world is not coincidental. For many Taiwanese, democracy is more than a system of
government. For them, democracy has become a unifying element and a source of strength
in the confrontation with the Chinese mainland.  … "Taiwan is the first democracy in
Chinese history," says Jou Yicheng of the Taiwan Foundation for Democracy. "We want to
serve as a model and make the point that democracy and Chinese culture are
compatible." Democratic rule has played -- and continues to play -- an important role
in what one may term Taiwanese "nation-building." Put differently, the growing desire
for independence and self-determination in Taiwan would be far less pronounced if
democratic rule would prevail on the Chinese mainland.

While Taiwan is moving ahead with its democracy promotion programs, other Asian
countries are lagging behind. In Japan, the richest country in the region, discussions
aimed at setting up democracy assistance projects have been going on for several
years. But so far, these have had no tangible results. Kazuo Inoue, a Member of the
Japanese House of Representatives, and one of the driving forces behind many
initiatives, says that the lack of progress has mainly two reasons.

First, Inoue argues, civil society and the non-governmental sector are not as strong
in Japan as in other countries. Second, the initiatives to set up a democracy
assistance organization are not supported by the bureaucracy. "The bureaucrats," Inoue
says, "are very strong in Japan, and it takes time to get such things done."

While the lawmaker from Tokyo remains optimistic that his country will sooner or later
come up with its own democracy assistance programs for the Asian region, South Korea,
which used to pursue outward-reaching democracy initiatives has actually fallen back.
Former South Korean president Kim Dae-jung was not only a champion of democracy and
human rights in his own country, he also promoted a democratic agenda internationally
setting up the "Forum of Democratic Leaders in Asia-Pacific" and pushing for
independence of East Timor and democracy in Burma.

When Kim Dae-jung received the Nobel Peace Prize in 2000, this international
commitment was explicitly mentioned by the awarding committee. Unfortunately, Kim's
successor Roh Moo-hyun has not shown the same dedication to promoting democracy
outside the shores of the Korean peninsula. With the exception of the Taiwanese
contribution, democracy assistance in Asia therefore remains very much an exclusive
domain of outside-regional players from the West. For many Asian democrats this is
unsatisfactory and not compatible with the economic advances and democratic
consolidation in many parts of the region.

"I think it is time for Asians to do more about democratization in this part of the
world", says Dr. Chee Soon-juan, the leader of the Singaporean opposition who has been
harassed by the authoritarian rulers of his country for most of his political life.
Thus far, only the Taiwanese have heeded Chee's and other democratic activists' call
for more Asian involvement and democratic solidarity.

© The Jakarta Post, Oct. 19, 2004

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/9rHolB/TM