An HTML-version of this newsletter is available at
http://www.fnf.org.ph/enewsletter/ltm122004.htm

Liberal Times Manila

A monthly newsletter of the Friedrich Naumann Foundation’s Philippine Office

Dear friends of the Friedrich Naumann Foundation,     23/12/2004

Looking back, 2004 has been a good year for what I like to term organized
liberalism in the Philippines. In the eyes of not a few observers, the Liberal
Party (LP) has emerged as the winner of the May elections. Following systematic
deliberations, the Party has meanwhile come up with a comprehensive strategic
plan that has no lesser goal than the return to presidential power at the end
of the decade.  As a member of the liberal family, the liberal Foundation has
provided support for a series of trainings and other educative programs – and
intends to continue doing so in the future. Once more, our main partner has
been the National Institute for Policy Studies (NIPS), the liberal think tank
in the Philippines. All these activities are guided by our joint conviction
that strong platform based political parties are important for the prospering
of liberal democracy.

Bestowed with a strong popular mandate, the major challenge for our political
friends is to prove to the electorate that they can have a positive impact on
governance. This endeavour is highlighted in the recent issue of the liberal
philippines magazine’s cover story “Liberals in Government.” Should you not
have received your personal copy, you may read all the articles at
www.liberal-philippines.com , the magazine’s award-winning Website, or simply
drop us a note, and we will send you the magazine free of charge right away.

Inspired by a recent international survey published by Transparency
International (TI) according to which on a global scale political parties are
conceived as the most corrupt institution, I have written a commentary – and
ended my argument with a slightly more optimistic message. As always, I am
attaching excerpts of that column to this note. You may check out the complete
text and other liberal commentaries in the opinion section of www.fnf.org.ph.

One of the highlights of the activities we co-sponsored since I last wrote you
a month ago, was the National Congress of the Kabataang Liberal ng Pilipinas
(KALIPI). The young Liberals elected a new leadership and also came up with an
ambitious action plan for the next three years. The liberal philippines
magazine and the Foundation, together with KALIPI, are sponsoring a nationwide
essay writing contest.  Anyone from 15 to 35 year is invited to submit an
article written in English and not exceeding 1000 words on the topic “The
Filipino as a Liberal.” Deadline for submission is January 31, 2005. The winner
will get an unforgettable trip to magnificent Batanes with a chance of a
one-on-one encounter with Department of Education Secretary (and former LP
president) Florencio “Butch” Abad. To view the “mechanics” of our contest,
please go to www.liberal-philippines.com.

To celebrate the New Year, the Friedrich Naumann Foundation in cooperation with
our main regional partner Council of Asian Liberals and Democrats (CALD) will
host a reception in Makati City in the evening of January 13, 2005. A personal
invitation should arrive in your mail-box in the next days.

Finally, I wish to thank the readers of this newsletter and the friends of the
liberal Foundation for all your positive feedback in the past 12 months and
your many expressions of support. At the same time, I wish you and your loved
ones a blessed Christmas and a peaceful and successful New Year.

Thank you and kind regards,

Dr. Ronald Meinardus

The battle against corruption can be won (Excerpts)

… A recent survey published by Transparency International (TI), the leading
global nongovernmental organization devoted to combating corruption, revealed
disturbing news. In 36 out of the 62 countries surveyed, a majority of
respondents thought of the political parties as the most corrupt institution.
Following political parties, parliaments, the police and the judiciary were
perceived as the next most tainted.… Among the many important messages of the
recent TI report, two stand out: First, the public perception of political
corruption is by no means limited to the so-called Third World with its young
democracies, but very much a global phenomenon. Second, political corruption
continues to have a devastating impact on the public's confidence in political
institutions, foremost, political parties and parliaments, in all parts of the
world.…To win elections, politicians and parties wage costly campaigns. Often,
campaign contributions are linked to political favors. The challenge is not to
eliminate all money from politics. Parties need money to function according to
the constitutional provisions. Ways and means must be found to ensure the clean
and transparent management of all political funds.

"One common observation is that corruption in parties is more prevalent when
parties lack strong ideological commitments," wrote Peter M. Manikas and Laura
Thornton in a recent book entitled Political Parties in Asia. They argue that
when parties offer their constituents little in terms of concrete policies and
programs, "money can substitute as driving factor for winning votes." Thus, the
promotion of platform-based party politics becomes one strategy in fighting
political corruption.

On a more technical level, governments that have successfully tackled the issue
of political finances have implemented two policies: First, they have set
clearly defined limits to the amount candidates and parties may receive and
spend from third parties; and, second, they have introduced direct public
subsidies.

Among the Asian countries in which political corruption is perceived by many as
a major systemic problem is the Philippines. For some observers, the absence of
strong platform based political parties and illegitimate money politics are
just two sides of one coin. Therefore, it is no coincidence that regulating
party finances plays a central role in Philippine discussions aimed at
reforming the party system.... The failure of the political class in the
Philippines to enact sweeping electoral reform legislation ahead of the general
elections last May stands in stark contrast to the determination with which
reforms of political parties and campaign finances have been pursued in other
East Asian democracies. While Taiwan's governing Democratic Progressive Party
(DPP) has set a benchmark regarding the democratization of internal party
procedures by introducing primary elections to select candidates for public
office, South Korea has set new standards regarding the way politicians deal
with money.

Not long ago, politics in South Korea were considered by many as one of the
most corrupt in the region, if not in the world. In 2004, however, that country
experienced tremendous changes in its political finance regime. At the center
of these ground-breaking reforms stands the legislation which significantly
restricts the finance practices of parties and politicians…South Korea's
President Roh, Moo-hyun gave prosecutors "free rein" to investigate parties and
politicians for corruption and even encouraged such investigations targeting
his own camp. As a result, even some of Roh's own supporters, among them
"honorable" members of parliament, were arrested and have been placed behind
bars.

The South Korean experience is illustrative and also encouraging. It shows that
the battle against political corruption can be won -- and will be won, as soon
as the political leadership demonstrates political will. Without this, nothing
will change.

© BusinessWorld, December 23, 2004

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/9rHolB/TM