An HTML-version of this newsletter is available at
http://www.fnf.org.ph/enewsletter/ltm072005.htm

Liberal Times Manila

A monthly newsletter of the Friedrich Naumann Foundation's Philippine Office

Dear friends of the Friedrich Naumann Foundation,     29/7/2005

In these politically troubled times, Filipino friends and colleagues often ask
what I make of the turmoil that has beset the country. While as an individual I
have my personal opinion (parts of which are reflected in a recent commentary
attached to this note) the Foundation I represent should not and will not take
a formal stance. Being neutral in a highly polarized environment is not always
easy. But, on the other hand, our role has never been to side with individuals,
factions or groupings but to promote through education and trainings the grand
idea of freedom - also known as liberalism.

I would be dishonest if I said that the political commotion, which has also
affected the cohesiveness of the liberal forces, has been without impact on our
programs of political education. At the same time, I am happy that our partners
at the National Institute for Policy Studies (NIPS) and the liberal youth
organization Kalipi are gearing up for a series of activities. Among these is
the NIPS launching of the Tagalog version of Liberalism: A Primer slated for
August 21. A Cebuano translation of the ideological manual should also be out
in due time. Please drop us a note if you wish to receive either or both of the
booklets by mail and free of charge.

Just a few days ago, I returned from Vientiane, the capital of Laos, where an
important ministerial meeting of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations
(ASEAN) took place. While media focused on the laudable development that
Myanmar will forgo the chair of the regional body next year, the ASEAN
governments also engaged in a dialogue with members of the Working Group for an
ASEAN Human Rights Mechanism. In
what our friends and partners at the Working Group consider a major success,
ASEAN has now formally asked the Working Group to provide its expertise and
services towards the establishment of a regional Commission on the Promotion
and the Protection of the Rights of Women and Children. Seen in a broader
framework, this shows that human rights concerns are making headway in ASEAN.
For an update of the
Working Group's activities check out the Human Rights Herald available online
at http://www.aseanhrmech.org/WGPages/Contents/Human_Rights_Herald_Issue2.pdf

Over the years, leadership training courses in Germany (and other European
countries) have developed into an attractive educative opportunity for Filipino
liberals. I am particularly happy that no less than eight applicants from this
country were accepted for the first ever online seminar. Entitled "No
Education: No Freedom, No Opportunity," the seminar will last for six weeks.
The most successful participants will be invited to go to Germany for a
follow-up in November. For more information on this and other workshops of the
International Academy for Leadership (IAF) go to www.fnf.org.ph

Finally, today is my last day at the office before I leave for an extended
holiday (and business trip) to Europe. While I am looking forward to meeting up
with my loved ones back home, I will certainly miss the daily dose of
Philippine politics.

Thank you and kind regards

(Dr. Ronald Meinardus)

The Philippines' Prolonged Political Crisis (Excerpts)

If there is one ray of light in the protracted political turmoil besetting the
Philippines it is that, thus far, the situation has remained peaceful. One and
a half months after audio tapes surfaced allegedly showing Mrs. Arroyo cheated
her way into office, the political crisis in the Philippines has entered a new
stage. While in the early weeks of the turmoil the political momentum for the
president to resign grew, Mrs. Arroyo's position was stabilized when the Roman
Catholic hierarchy publicly stated it would not join the clamor and the
military also refrained from getting involved. Considering the very negative
mood earlier, the neutrality of two
key players blew new life into the besieged presidency.

 Still, the political crisis is far from settled. There is a general feeling
that the country has entered a period of a drawn out political stalemate. Once
more, Philippine politics is extremely polarized. How one perceives the
president has become the single most important issue, transcending established
ideological and partisan allegiances. "Churches, officials in government, men
in uniform, the business community, teachers, students, and even families are
divided," said a former member of the Arroyo cabinet who resigned recently.
With more or less all major political forces having opted for one or the other
camp, voices of compromise are scarce - and hardly heard. This, too, makes an
amicable solution difficult and improbable.

Today, many public debates focus on the question why the present situation is
different from 1986 and 2001, two defining dates in Philippine history, when
massive demonstrations led to the downfall of presidents considered unfit to
run the nation by major sectors of society. In both people power uprisings (as
they have come to be known) the Roman Catholic hierarchy and eventually also
the armed forces joined the movement thereby tipping the balance in favor of
the demonstrators.  Arguably, the most important difference today is that the
public has shown little if any inclination to go to the streets in large
numbers. For many left leaning Filipino intellectuals who tend to idealize the
popular protests of the past, this people power fatigue is a painful
disappointment. The people's passivity challenges the widespread perception
that in the end of the day the masses will take their destiny into their own
hands. Filipinos seem to have learned their lesson. Few would argue today that
the two previous revolts led to an improvement of the quality of their
lives. Many would even say, and empirical data justifies their claim, that
their situation has worsened.

A recent opinion poll conducted by a reputable survey institute revealed how
fed-up the people are with being sent to the streets by political agitators.
When the Social Weather Stations (SWS) published its findings, the local media
focused on the falling trust ratings of the president. Equally newsworthy I
found the result that only two individuals out of more than 500 respondents
opted for "people power."

There are indications that the political conflict will return to the halls of
Congress, from where ideally it should never have left in the first place.
Following initial hesitation, the opposition seems willing to impeach the
president. This is a reasonable option, as it is constitutional, and
importantly, gives the accused president a chance to defend herself.  . While
friends and foes of Mrs. Arroyo will probably always disagree who should lead
this country, they agree that the current political system is in dire need of
radical reform. The president herself came out with the revealing and also
incriminating remark that "our political system has
degenerated to such an extent that it is very difficult to move within the
system with hands totally untainted."

In the midst of the crisis, various political sectors have come out with
proposals aimed at remedying the situation. A consensus is evolving that the
Philippines is in need of a new constitution. Among the formulas proposed is to
transform the present presidential system to a parliamentary and federal form
of government. One influential proponent even suggests that the new
constitution should be ready as soon as next February so that the people may
decide on it in a plebiscite. Considering the seriousness of the endeavor, any
such haste seems inappropriate. At the same time this hurriedness is
unrealistic. One condition for constitutional change is a basic consensus among
the major political forces. The assumption that this consensus may be achieved
any time soon is wishful thinking. As long as major political players question
the legitimacy of the president, the political stalemate in the Philippines
will continue.

© BusinessWorld July 19, 2005