OPEN LETTER TO HONÂ’BLE SUPREME COURT

HonÂ’ble Chief Justice of India Mr. R. C. Lahoti,

New Delhi,

HonÂ’ble Lordship,

This is my Humble prayer that important issue relates to long terms public
interest, raised herein should be examined by the HonÂ’ble Supreme Court in
considerations of the Your LordshipÂ’s remarks in open Court asking the
Government (Not to Legislature), which Newspapers referred as “you want to be
law unto yourself?”, and responded by Hon’ble Speaker Shri Som Nath Chatterjee,
Renowned Bar-at-Law as “unfortunate”.

This is my Humble prayer before Your Lordship to examine whether various
Judgments of the Supreme Court are responsible or not for the situation under
which Your Lordship was compelled to make such harass but correct remarks?

In this respect I may be allowed to refer the discussion held on 9th December
1949 on the Scheme, object and enactment of Article 32 of the Constitution, in
the Constituent Assembly of India, in the Constitution Hall, New Delhi, when
Mr. Vice-President Dr. H. C. Mookherjee, was in the Chair, where contrary to
remark of HonÂ’ble Speaker Shri Som Nath Chatterjee Shri M. Ananthasayanam
Ayyangar: (First Lok Sabha Speaker) says that: “the Supreme Court according to
me is the Supreme guardian of the citizenÂ’s rights in any democracy. I would
even go further and say that it is the soul of democracy. The executive which
comes into being for the time being is apt to abuse its powers, and therefore
the Supreme Court must be there, strong and un-trammeled by the day to day
passions which may bring a set of people into power and throw them out also in
a very short time. In less than three or four years during which a parliament
is in being, many governments may come and go, and if the fundamental
 rights of the individual are left to the tender mercies of the Government of
the day, they cannot be called fundamental rights at all.” and further that:
“These and other rights must be carefully watched and for this purpose the
Supreme Court has been vested with the supreme ultimate jurisdiction.”

In my views such a situation arises when Supreme Court mixed up its Two
Efficacies (One: Under Part III of the Constitution, and another Under Chapter
V of Part VI of the Constitution), during the interpreting the entire
Constitution Under Article 147 of the Constitution.

Article 147 provides that “In this Chapter (with reference to UNION JUDICIARY)
and in Chapter V of Part VI (with reference to HIGH COURTS), references to any
substantial question of law as to the interpretation of this Constitution shall
be construed as including references to any substantial question of law as to
the interpretation of the Government of India Act, 1935”…“or of any Order in
Council or order made thereunder, or of the Indian Independence Act, 1947, or
of any order made thereunder”. This empowered to Supreme Court just to
interpret the Constitution inter alia as “if interpretation of the Government
of India Act, 1935”…“Indian Independence Act, 1947”. “Union Judiciary” not
inclusive of the efficacy of the Supreme Court with reference to Part III of
the Constitution.

This will be ample clear from Article 12, 13 read with Article 32 under Part
III of the Constitution, which empowered the Supreme Court much stronger
efficacy than Article 147, having armed with extra-ordinary supreme powers and
jurisdictions to examine even the Constitutional validity of the “Government of
India Act, 1935”…“Indian Independence Act, 1947”, by Clause (1) of Article 13
of the Constitution which provides “All laws in force includes laws passed or
made by a Legislature or other competent authority in the territory of India
immediately before the commencement of the Constitution, (which includes
Government of India Act, 1935 and Indian Independence Act, 1947) in so far as
they are inconsistent with the provisions of this Part, shall, to the extent of
such inconsistency, be void.”.

The impact of the aforesaid mixing up two independent, separate and untrammeled
efficacies of the Supreme Court caused such a situation which causes gross
changes in the mindset of the Supreme Court as appears openly, under which
responsibility of the Supreme Court as a Guardian, Guarantor and
Watchdog-Protector of the rights guaranteed under Part III of the Constitution
interalia as were hold by Six Judge Bench (AIR:1950,Sc: 124, Kania CJ, Fazl
Ali, Patanjali Sastri, Mahajan, B.K.Mokherjea, And Das JJ.), that: “The Supreme
Court is thus constituted the protector and guarantor of fundamental rights,
and it cannot, consistently with the responsibility so laid upon it, refuse to
entertain applications seeking protection against infringement of such rights”,
were shifted towards complete negative directions that the “………… it is a
settled position in law that no judicial order passed by any superior court in
judicial proceedings can be said to violate any of the fundamental rights
 enshrined in Part III”.

Such a situation with diluted efficacy of the Supreme Court Under Part III
further confirmed by the Judgment dated 10 the April 2002 388-428 SCC (2002) 4
SCC held that under Article 32, 132, 133, 134, 136, 226 and 12 of the
Constitution of India “Supreme Court cannot issue a Writ to a High Court or one
Bench of Supreme Court cannot issue a writ to another Bench of the Supreme
Court even if the latter is a smaller one—More so because neither a Judicial
order passed by a superior court can be said to be violative of fundamental
rights nor are the superior courts “State” within the meaning of Art 12”.

>From the aforesaid Judgment it was clear that it was arrived only after mixing
>up the Article 32, 132, 133, 134, 136, 226 and 12 of the Constitution of
>India, and after considering that “nor are the superior courts “State” within
>the meaning of Art 12”. This interpretation was made without considering the
>facts that Employers of the Supreme Court Judges (President and Parliament of
>India) are within the scope of the “State” under Article 12 of the
>Constitution, therefore, how employee (Composed of Supreme Court Judges) the
>superior courts are not “State” within the meaning of Art 12”.

I may be allowed to explain in detail to justify that Supreme Court have been
provided two independent, separate and untrammeled efficacies one: Under Part
III and another: Under Chapter IV of the Part V and Chapter V of Part VI of the
Constitution of India.

In fact basis of the present confrontation is between short-term political
benefits of the people from Executive who comes into being for the time being
is apt to abuse its powers, as HonÂ’ble Shri M. Ananthasayanam Ayyangar
commented and long terms benefit of the public at large. But until aforesaid
important issue is not resolved, confrontation is bound to fuel the fire.

With Best Regards,

Yours Law Abiding Citizen of India

(MILAP  CHORARIA)

Dated 24th August 2005

National Convenor: Movement for Accountability to Public (MAP)

B-5/52, Sector-7, Rohini, Delhi-11085 Phone No. 27055356

http://map-india.tripod.com/

http://milapchoraria.tripod.com/msp

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

CC to

HonÂ’ble Shri Som Nath Chatterjee, Speaker of Loksabha,

HonÂ’ble Mr. Milon Kumar Banerjee, Attorney General of India

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/9rHolB/TM